Friday, August 30, 2013

A Series of Definitions: Sin

When I started working in retail seven years ago, I wish I had been given a dictionary of words and phrases commonly used in retail during orientation. Because really, how many of you who do not work in retail would know what an end gable is? or how to properly "zone"? (Just for the curious: an end gable is the tall ending of the cross fixtures that run throughout the store where merchandise can be displayed for customers. And "zoning" is what we do to keep the store merchandise organized and full and makes the store look beautiful for our customers.)

Having grown up within The Church I was given many words at a very young age that meant little to me. Sin is one of those words that until later in life was vague. The definition I was given in church was; "Sin: anything which separates us from God."

Although I have come to believe this is indeed a great definition, it is still vague. So once again, here is my definition of Sin.

Sin
I completely agree with my church that part of the definition of sin is anything which separates from God. But how does one know what it is that separates us from God? Are they actions? Or words? Thoughts? Sometimes can sin be the fleeting thought of jealousy which flutters between heartbeats?

See what I mean? Clearly I ponder too much.

So, I add unto their definition this portion of mine own. Sin is also that which does harm to you. Harm mentally, physically, emotionally or spiritually.

Truly, separation from God occurs when you choose, with foreknowledge, to turn against moral and righteous choices. And instead do that which pleases the world and/or harms humanity in some way.

Then you have sins such as coveting another's possessions, allowing substances to take over your mind and physical lewdness. Now, whilst I can see how these would separate you from God in that they place above God another person or object (s). They can and often are also very harmful to the one committing the sin.

Wanting what others have can lead to bankruptcy. Or anger at not being able to gain it. Or even, drive a wedge between a man and his wife.

Substance abuse can lead to car accidents, seizures, ailments of the body, bleeding, depression and other emotional up's and down's.

Promiscuity can lead to STD's. I feel almost as if that would be enough said. However, I also feel that emotional scars can be gained in such a way as well. Either one is not prepared for their first time, or one is emotionally invested in a way that the other is not.

These are just alternate scenarios and just possibilities. But think on it. I believe God is benevolent. That He loves us and cares for us. And that these laws and commands are given to us because he hopes to save us from agony and pain. We can come back to Him. He will love us always. But sin, takes us from Him by turning our mind to things or people that we then place above Him. We make them more important. And sin harms us. Sins are those things which drive us to repentance. I do not pretend to be very good at avoiding them. But I believe I now better understand what they are and how they occur. And how best to try and live my life without them.

Would you agree with me then? That Sin was a word given to us so that we might avoid harming ourselves in all possible ways and also to prevent us from being separated from God for even a moment. For a moment is too long to be without His warmth of comfort and love.

No comments:

Post a Comment